Sunday, May 17, 2009

My favorite part of spring...

Last year I bought this fabulous hibiscus. Hibiscus is my favorite flower. They're big. They're showy. Yet they're delicate. And they can handle the heat. This is my hibiscus in all her glory...



Then the storm hit. It blew and hailed and poured on the pour gal. She was beaten and whipped. She was stripped of her beautiful clothing and left naked, shivering in the corner...



Notice the lone bud left as a calling card... a note to say, "See what I can do to you. Don't show off too much. I could have left you dead but let's see what you've got, woman."

The good news - the little lady's still alive. I brought her in for the winter and loved and cared for her. She gave me a few leaves and lots of flowers to say thank you. But the kind flower lady at Mulhall's told me I could have no flowers this summer. If I really loved this one, I would have to be tough on her. Cut her nearly to the stem. Make her grow a coat. Put some leaves on. So I mustered the courage and did just that. I took a picture but I won't embarass her by placing it here... Just know that her photo shoot is coming. She will return to glory. She's a fighter. A winner. An example to us all.

Show some flowers after you've been beaten. Don't let them think they've made you die. Remind them you're beautiful. But let 'em cut you back and force you to become stronger, not just prettier.

Live long and strong, beautiful hibiscus... Love until forever,

Estee Renee

1 comment:

Tesa said...

Life lessons from creation. Awesome.
I want a hibiscus!